httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject RE: mod_deflate with mod_jk
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 02:55:04 GMT
--On Wednesday, December 4, 2002 5:23 PM -0800 Joshua Slive
<joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

> There are some problems with AddOutputFilterByType.  It doesn't
> work with  DefaultType, and it doesn't work with modules that
> change the type unless  they "do the right thing" (which many of
> them don't; I don't know about  mod_jk).

The first isn't really a big deal, IMHO.  DefaultType is only used
when we would otherwise *not* send a Content-Type header.  Therefore,
I can make the case that the AddOutputFilterByType shouldn't apply to
DefaultType cases.  The response made it all the way through and no
module set the C-T.  By then, it is too late to add any filters to
the request.  We're only guessing at the C-T of the response.

And, of course, the second problem isn't our problem to fix.  We've
said in the past the only way to set the C-T is to use the API for
that.  If they don't, then I don't really care.  Every filter
shouldn't have hacks introduced to work around other modules that
don't play nice.  Note that r->content-type will always override any
Content-Type header - which has always been the case.  -- justin