Yep, it is probably a 3.0 feature.  I have done some work with async i/o on Windows and Linux and would be really interested in seeing your code.

Bill
-----Original Message-----
From: Juan Rivera [mailto:Juan.Rivera@citrix.com]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 5:59 PM
To: 'dev@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: Async I/O

I have been modifying the Winnt MPM to support IO Completion ports to avoid client per thread model.

I also refactored mod_echo for testing purposes. I'm almost done but I think the async i/o is going to introduce all sorts of compatibility problems with filters that block while reading or writing. But if the modules are aware of this, this is a workable solution.

I have no problem contributing the code but I think there is some planning and discussion that need to happen before Apache can move to Async I/O.

Since you guys went through the pain of a new model for modules in 2.0, I think if the model for async i/o is different, this will cause a lot of complains.

Do you guys see async I/O as a 3.0 feature rather than a 2.0.

Juan C. Rivera

Citrix Systems, Inc

Tel: (954)229-6391