httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Language negotiation...
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:15:12 GMT
Thanks, that explains it.  I didn't even think to check for Multviews on the directory.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

>>> joshua@slive.ca Monday, November 25, 2002 2:08:43 PM >>>

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Brad Nicholes wrote:

>     If I explicitly request the page /index.html and that page does not
>     exist, shouldn't Apache respond with one of the language versions of
>     the page?  Currently on NetWare anyway, I can request / and get back
>     whatever language version of index.html my browser supports.  But if
>     I specifically request index.html I get back "page not found".  How
>     is this suppose to work?

I'm guessing you are talking about the docroot of the default
distribution.  If so, note that we have
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
and no Multiviews.  So when you request "/", apache checks
for index.html, doesn't find it, and goes on to look for index.html.var.
index.html.var triggers the negotiation.  When you request "index.html",
it doesn't look at the DirectoryIndex directive, and so it stops with the
404 at index.html.

The easy way to fix this is to simply add
Options +MultiViews
to the directory.  Then apache will check for index.html.* if you request
index.html and no exact match exists.  We don't have this in the default
config because MultiViews is an expensive and potentially dangerous option
if not used carefully.

Joshua.