httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Patch for listen.c
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 12:17:53 GMT
Randall Stewart <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us> writes:

> The idea behind this is that SCTP is automatically enabled if
> available... i.e. there is no flag to turn it on/off.. if you say
> listen 80
> and have sctp.. you get a listener on both TCP and SCTP port 80.
>
> Now the reason I picked this method is:
>
> a) A port/socket listening is a small amount of overhead...

unfortunately, it can be meaningful overhead, enough so that IMHO it
isn't reasonable to enable SCTP automatically

when Apache has more than one listening socket, it is forced to poll()
in addition to accept(), and the use of poll() prior to accept() means
it has to serialize all threads/processes such that only one is in
poll() at a time

on most current OSs, this serialization is not necessary when there is
only one listening socket

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...