httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: mod_deflate and gzip
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 12:00:27 GMT
fabio rohrich <> writes:

> I don't get the difference between mod_deflate and the
> famous gzip!
> Can they work together,and what it's the difference
> between them?

Use one or the other for compression of HTTP.  They can't work
together because they perform basically the same function.

IIRC, mod_gzip has rich set of configuration directives for
controlling when it is used or not.

mod_deflate is slim on configuration directives and instead relies on
generic Apache directives that control filters and environment
variables for controlling when it is used or not.

(I've never seen/used mod_gzip for 2.0 so I don't know if migration of
mod_gzip to a filter led to a change in the configuration mechanisms.)

Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message