httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: [Patch] Be more selective on includes
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:19:27 GMT
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Thom May wrote:
> OK, so Justin and I were just discussing this in the bar at apachecon, and
> I explained the use-case I was interested in, and why I wanted this patch:
> We have a directory tree containing vhosts:
> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
> this contains file in this form:
> samizdat.positive-internet.com
> www.planetarytramp.net
> www.example.org.uk
>
> ie, the file name matches the ServerName entry. In this case, wildcard
> matching is either too generic (Include sites-enabled/*), or not workable at
> all(Include sites-enabled/*.com\nInclude sites-enabled/*.org etc etc).

Awww, come on... Just rename the damn things
samizdat.postitive-internet.com.conf
or something to that effect.

I am opposed to any SafeInclude type directives because:
1. Almost all reasonable use cases can be solved with fnmatch wildcards.
2. As soon as we add those exceptions you want, 100 people will come
crawling out of the woodwork asking for exceptions for their special
files.
3. It is a bad idea to have file-types hardcoded in Apache.
4. It is unnecessary complexity, which makes things harder for everybody.

Joshua.