httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject RE: Async I/O
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:52:56 GMT
Yep, it is probably a 3.0 feature.  I have done some work with async i/o on
Windows and Linux and would be really interested in seeing your code.

Bill
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Juan Rivera [mailto:Juan.Rivera@citrix.com]
  Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 5:59 PM
  To: 'dev@httpd.apache.org'
  Subject: Async I/O

  I have been modifying the Winnt MPM to support IO Completion ports to
avoid client per thread model.

  I also refactored mod_echo for testing purposes. I'm almost done but I
think the async i/o is going to introduce all sorts of compatibility
problems with filters that block while reading or writing. But if the
modules are aware of this, this is a workable solution.

  I have no problem contributing the code but I think there is some planning
and discussion that need to happen before Apache can move to Async I/O.

  Since you guys went through the pain of a new model for modules in 2.0, I
think if the model for async i/o is different, this will cause a lot of
complains.

  Do you guys see async I/O as a 3.0 feature rather than a 2.0.

       Juan C. Rivera

       Citrix Systems, Inc

       Tel: (954)229-6391