httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pending mod_negotiation patches
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:19:57 GMT
At 09:56 AM 11/25/2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>At 08:26 PM 11/19/2002, André Malo wrote:
>
>>- body.patch sets the appropriate MIME headers, if a type map body is
>>applied (Content-language, Content-type; charset, Content-Encoding)
>
>Ok, digging into your patch, you were missing the charset declaration with
>no explicit Content-Type.  Think foo.html.var where nobody bothers to fill
>in Content-Type: text/html since it's terribly redundant.

Ok.  I made a really bogus assumption here.  If no Content-Type, how on
earth did one get ;charset= into the mix?  Answer, they didn't.  So that
wasn't a problem.

>This got me thinking, why aren't we picking up text/html in that case?  It's
>actually sort of bogus, since that becomes part of the negotation, but our
>read typemap logic isn't picking up the already-present variables.  Again,
>take the case of foo.var.en where that file contains all english resources,
>but perhaps multiple content-type representations.  All should be tagged
>as english, but that never makes it into the var file negotiation since the
>variable is sitting out in -our- request_rec but not the explicit .var headers.

Well, as good as this sounds (for a future patch) nothing has changed.
The negotation already requires that the .var type-map file has complete
headers for mime variables; because if it doesn't, there is no recovering
today.  Now tommorow, it would be a good patch for all type-map files
(body or not), but it didn't affect how cleanly your patch would work.

>So I'm working from your patch to also populate the known request_rec
>mime type entities when churning the type-map bodies file.

And that should be a different patch; never mind me :-)

>The final issue I have with type-map bodies is that we have no way of
>distinguishing them from one another, sans proper mime request headers.
>I was thinking it would be very cool in Mozilla to create a 'doc choices'
>sidebar based on the Vary: headers, and allow the user to explicitly
>choose one :-)  But it would still be useful to use either path_info or the
>query_args to explicitly state one variant, so that the MULTIPLE_CHOICES
>response could give the user the ability to make a forced election.

Still yet another good patch for the future.  Thoughts anyone?  In any case
your patch is applied to 2.0 and 2.1, thanks!

The only issues I had with your patch;

* would you cvs diff from the top level httpd directory?
  Makes multiple patches much simpler to apply :-)

* Were the cpy/dup's really necessary?  We won't be dismissing
  the best->request's pool until we finish the entire request.

Bill