httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William N. Zanatta" <will...@veritel.com.br>
Subject CustomLog and Pipes Behavior in Apache from 1.3 to 2.0
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:29:45 GMT
Hi there,

   Yesterday I finished a little code which goal is to log certain log
entries to MySQL. The program worked fine in 2.0 series but when I put
it on 1.3 I had a big surprise.

   Today I've received some mails telling me my webserver has been out
of service for about 30 minutes. Checking my system I discovered that
when running my little utility on 1.3, it (the utility) got a 50% of CPU
load while in 2.0 series is do not get over 0.1%. Also a restart attempt
on a 1.3 makes all child processes shutdown but not the main (root)
process and here is the reason why my server has been down for a while
(maintenance tasks needed a restart). This main process just hung up and
didn't die until I send him a SIGKILL.

   Now, my question...

   What are the main differences between 1.3 and 2.0 which could be
causing this so different behavior? Is there any documentation about the
Apache internals (1.3 and 2.0) which I can read?

   Thank you,

  William N. Zanatta

--
Perl combines all of the worst aspects of BASIC, C and line noise.
                 -- Keith Packard