httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Striker <stri...@apache.org>
Subject 2.0, 2.1 branch, WAS: Re: Renames
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:09:29 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

>Thom May <thom@planetarytramp.net> writes:
>So what is the consensus with the renames? The patch is available from
>http://cvs.apache.org/~thommay/full-rename-diff and seems good - it builds
>and passes tests on (at least) BeOS and OS X.
>Also, httpd and svn don't need any changes to still work - the functions are
>all wrapped by the old names. So it's just binary compatibility that's the
>problem.
>

>But binary incompatibility breaks the notion of a stable httpd API.
>Can we hold off until Sander tags everything for an httpd release?
>(I guess Sander is still planning to tag.)

Always useful if Sander responds ;)  Bottom line: I'm not going to tag
before we branch.
It all comes down to this:
- The auth changes _don't_ break 3rd party auth modules
- We can rename the auth modules and their directives back to their old
names
  so we don't break existing 2.0 configs
- We must add implicit loading of mod_auth_basic when no auth provider
  was loaded
- AFAIK the renames don't break bin compat, everything is wrapped in stubs

So, we're ok.  We can branch right now, because the state of the tree today
is probable what we want to use as the basis for 2.1/2.2.

Once we get the auth stuff renamed and the implicit loading in place I'll
tag 2.0.44.  My guess is that this will probably happen next week somewhere.
Justin?

Jeff, OtherBill, does httpd-2.0 HEAD contain anything you'd rather not see
rolled into 2.0.44 (apart from the above)?

Sander