httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:59:22 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:
> stoddard@apache.org wrote:

>>   -    * Rewrite core_output_filter.

> Well I think it's predictable now, but not optimal.
>
> For the simplest request I know how to create, it is entered 3 times:
> 1. HTTP headers
> 2. file + EOS
> 3. FLUSH bucket

> If we haven't seen an EOS or FLUSH yet and the data is too small to send
> immediately, it would be cheaper to just stash the brigade in the
> context rather than doing the setaside at #1.

That is cheaper, but it's not safe in general.  I coded this & got seg faults
with Electric Fence serving the httpd FAQ (a heavy SSI user).  The subrequests
are probably what's doing it.  If I stash a brigade created by a subrequest, its
pool could get cleared between invocations of core_output_filter.

Greg