httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Stewart <rand...@stewart.chicago.il.us>
Subject Patch for listen.c
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 16:58:04 GMT
Hi all:

Attached is a patch to add support for SCTP to apache for those
O/S's that have it.

Now a note about this patch..

The idea behind this is that SCTP is automatically enabled if
available... i.e. there is no flag to turn it on/off.. if you say
listen 80

and have sctp.. you get a listener on both TCP and SCTP port 80.

Now the reason I picked this method is:

a) A port/socket listening is a small amount of overhead...
b) TCP and SCTP are both congestion controlled protocols so
    there should be no threat to the stability of the Big I due
    to the use of SCTP and http (unlike using http with UDP).
c) It seemed like a logical thing to do :-)

Now I suppose the alternative is to expand the config file with

listen,tcp: 80
listen,sctp: 80

etc...

But this seemed a bit overkill to avoid listening on one additional
socket...

Comments would be most welcome..

Randall R. Stewart
randall@stewart.chicago.il.us 815-342-5222 (cell phone)