httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Before I start a new module...
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:45:31 GMT
--On Monday, November 25, 2002 1:58 AM +0000 Pier Fumagalli
<pier@betaversion.org> wrote:

> Since I already don't have a Content-Length header (since I don't
> know how much content I'm going to shoot out), and my boss is
> concerned about mod_deflate not being supported by (like) Netscape
> 1.3.1 when Javascript is disabled (or some stuff like that, a
> customer is a customer), well, got no options left...

In order for the server to send gzip'd data, it must send the magic
header to the server (Accept-Encoding: gzip).  Any browser that
doesn't support gzip wouldn't be sending that string.  There are some
fscked browsers that send that header and don't mean it, but I
believe they are already documented somewhere.

IIRC, the person Fitz mentioned who was writing mod_blank refused to
use 2.0, so I don't think that'll be very helpful.  -- justin