httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kutschker <Martin.T.Kutsch...@blackbox.net>
Subject multiple protocols - Patch for listen.c
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2002 13:29:48 GMT
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:58:04 -0600
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
From: Randall Stewart <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>
Subject: Patch for listen.c

> b) TCP and SCTP are both congestion controlled protocols so
> there should be no threat to the stability of the Big I due
> to the use of SCTP and http (unlike using http with UDP).

I think that if Apache is to listen on several IPs on different ports and now supporting different
(low-level) protocols, it is reasonable to provide mechanisms to permit certain ports and
protocols on specific IPs. So something along

> listen,tcp: 80
> listen,sctp: 80

should be IMHO be there. Since the syntax is currently

Listen <port>
Listen <IPv4>:<port>
Listen [<IPv6>]:<port>

it could become

Listen <port> <protocols>

or

Listen <port>;<protocols>

or even

Listen <protocols> <port>

<protocols> is a comma separated list (eg "tcp,sctp").

ListenProtocols <protocols>

would set the default protocols for the Listen directive if no proctocol is given. Without
this directive Apache should IMHO use only tcp.

Masi