httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.1 Fallout; httpd v.s. httpd-2.0
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 05:36:15 GMT
--On Sunday, November 24, 2002 11:01 PM -0600 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Ken's change for htdocs was really a pita because existing checkouts
> were simply broken.  This isn't the case for this schema.  You
> update when you need to commit (and the system's informed you you
> cannot commit.)  Planned chaos rather than unanticipated chaos.

No, it'd still be the case - an update isn't sufficient.  I'd have to
get a brand-new checkout of httpd because my local working copy would
refer to httpd-2.0.  At best, I might be able to run a script to
tweak my CVS directories.

I'd prefer that we start 2.1 on a new repository that doesn't have
"2.0" in the name.  Yes, that means losing history of 2.0 in that
repository.  So, be it.  It's not all that important, and we've done
this at every branch point before.  Some of the operations take too
long as it is because of the large history of some files.

Regardless, whatever we do must be planned and agreed to ahead of
time.  -- justin