httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-site/docs/dev anoncvs.txt devnotes.html how-to-release.html
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 05:21:13 GMT
--On Sunday, November 24, 2002 9:51 PM -0600 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wrowe@apache.org> wrote:

> Can I just state that this surprise really sucks?  Why couldn't we
> follow the same protocols as in httpd-2.0/docs/manual/ where xml
> coexists peacefully alongside html output???

We don't want to serve the original XML files.  httpd-2.0's docs have
valid XSLTs which mean that they can be rendered with modern web
browsers.  httpd-site's content doesn't have a XSLT.  Therefore, if
we exposed the raw XML files to a web browser, they wouldn't make any
sense to anyone.

The eventual goal is not to have a docs directory in CVS at all, but
we can't do that given our current infrastructure.  Therefore, all of
the content must be generated statically and checked into the
repository.  Hence, docs/ is only valid for transformations.  --
justin