httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: bucket max free
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:47:22 GMT
On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 14:13, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> So thanks to prodding from Jean-Jacques Clar at Novell, I'm putting in an
> apr_bucket_alloc_max_free_set() that just calls
> apr_allocator_max_free_set() on the underlying allocator.  Now we need to
> call that function each time we create an apr_bucket_alloc_t, which
> happens in each MPM.
>
> My only question is this:
>
> What should the max freelist size be?  64K?  32K?  If somebody says "it
> should be configurable," I'm gonna shoot them.  ;)  hehe It probably
> SHOULD be, but I don't have time to implement that right now.

I think 16KB may be enough for most general use.  One
way to find out for sure would be:
  - Implement your max-free limit
  - Set the limit to 8KB
  - Build a prefork MPM, set a breakpoint in the allocation
    function with gdb, and send some typical requests to the httpd
  - Keep increasing the limit until it no longer hits the
    breakpoint after the first request

Brian