httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Burry" <dbu...@tagnet.org>
Subject dynamically change max client value
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:18:34 GMT
Recently there has been a little discussion about an API in apache for
controlling starts, stops, restarts, etc...

I have an idea that may help me solve a problem I've been having.  The
problem is in limiting the number of processes that will run on a machine to
somewhere below where the machine will keel over and die, while still being
close to the maximum the machine will handle.  The issue is depending on
what the majority of those processes are doing it changes the maximum number
a given machine can handle by a few orders of magnitude, so a multi-purpose
machine that serves, say, static content and cgi scripts (or other things
that vary greatly in machine resource usage) cannot be properly tuned for
maximum performance while guaranteeing the machine won't die under heavy
load.

The solution I've thought of is... what if Apache had an API that could be
used to say "no more processes, whatever you have NOW is the max!"  or
otherwise to dynamically raise or lower the max number (perhaps "oh there's
too many, reduce a bit")....  You see, an external monitoring system could
monitor cpu and memory and whatnot and dynamically adjust apache depending
on what it's doing.....  This kind of system could really increase the
stability of any large Apache server farm, and help keep large traffic
spikes from killing apache so bad that nobody gets served anything at all.

In fact this idea could be extended someday to dynamically change all sorts
of apache configuration things, but all I really need that I know of right
now is the max client value...

What do you all think of this idea?  Does this already exist perhaps?

Dave