httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:13:04 GMT
At 1:05 PM -0500 10/13/02, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>Then I want to clarify ... you both object to the statement that developers
>within HTTP should be free to work on what they want.  Obviously, you are
>both stating that we should not introduce 2.1 anytime real soon now.

In a nutshell, here are my thoughts: Creating a 2.1 branch will
sacrifice 2.0. I really feel that if 2.1 is started, 2.0 will basically
stay the exact same way it is right now. And although 2.0 *is* production
ready, there is still a lot more that could be done with it, to make
it better.

Consider what happened with 2.0 and 1.3: When 2.0 started "in earnest"
development on 1.3 was frowned upon. "No new features" and the
like. 2.0 was the "cool project" to work on, and 1.3 was considered
"old stuff". This only succeeded because (1) 1.3 was very, very robust.
It was solid and had been worked on and tuned enough that it could
be somewhat "left alone" and (2) that some of us decided to make
sure that 1.3 was still a living a breathing project, despite
some developer inklings that "you should really be working on 2.0."

2.0 is not, IMO, at a stage where a 2.1 branch is warranted. There's
still a lot that can, and should be done in 2.0. If it means an API
change, well, if the need is strong enough, then that's that. My
concern about the API was a growing tendency towards being able to
justify an API change for anything.

People *want* to use 2.0: let's make it easy for them.