httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: response to comments re: API changing
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:18:18 GMT
Carla Schroder <carla@bratgrrl.com> writes:

> I'd like to hear from the actual developers on this! I read back several
> months in the list archives, to get some background.

Technically, the API changes have been pretty minor.  A module that
was working with alpha/beta Apache 2 at the beginning of 2001 could be
made to work with the current release pretty easily.  If a module
doesn't work with Apache 2 now, it is because there is a lack of
serious interest on the part of the module authors (which of course is
everybody's option).

Almost all of the pain with the supposedly volatile API has been
experienced by the end users, who may want to pick up fixes or
enhancements to Apache without recompiling 3rd-party modules, and who
have gotten bit frequently because binary compatibility is lost as
soon as any aspect of the API is changed, whether or not it matters to
their set of modules.

It looks like we will address that with Apache 2.something releases
which maintain binary compatibility with 2.0.41+ so that module
recompiles are not needed for quite a while.  So I hope the pain is
over for users who are happy with the current function but still need
to pick up future critical fixes without having to rebuild their
modules.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...