httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject apachectl/ulimit translation issue
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:12:02 GMT
apachectl tries to set soft limit for number of descriptors to the
hard limit.

The output of ulimit -H -n with my AIX box yields English text
"unlimited", which is a parameter that can be passed to ulimit -S -n.

In a French locale, AIX translates "unlimited" on output to Illimite'

# ulimit -H -n
Illimite'

but ulimit does not accept Illimite' as input.

In other words, AIX /bin/sh ulimit can print output in French but will
not accept French as input.

If I had built Apache with a French locale I assume that the
configure-time check would fail and apachectl would not try to play
with ulimit.  But in this case, Apache was built with an English
locale and run with a French locale.

Cool, huh?

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net