httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 03:14:19 GMT
On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Sunday, October 13, 2002 9:36 PM -0400 Joshua Slive
> <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
>
> > One more note: I'd like to see the rename of mod_access reversed.
> > That just seems like a gratuitous change that hurts users and
> > doesn't really help developers.
>
> Could you please explain why breaking out the authorization (authz)
> components in a similar fashion to authentication (authn) is a
> gratuitous change?

Justin, he said the name change was gratuitous, not the change itself.

> I believe mod_authz_host is a much better name for mod_access.  It
> indicates that this module is only dealing with authorization based on
> the remote host components.  mod_access can mean lots of things, but
> the fact that it was solely restricted to hostnames wasn't obvious to
> me from the original module name.  -- justin

It may not have been obvious to you, but anybody who has been using Apache
for the last few years has always known this.  I happen to agree, the name
change does make more sense, but it wasn't necessary for the
patch.  Please change the name back.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610