httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@ntrnet.net>
Subject Re: POST
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:03:16 GMT
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 06:53:09PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > The problem is that the default_handler shouldn't be involved.  Because
> > mod_dav is now replacing the r->handler field for ALL requests, things
>
> Woah! *NOT* "all" requests. Only those under the URL namespace which has
> been assigned to mod_dav. It does not just go out and blast r->handler
> willy-nilly. You have specifically enabled DAV for the URL space in
> question.

> > If those two things are done, then we could have two handlers for the same
> > resource.  However, mod_dav shouldn't just be taking over all requests and
> > assuming that they were meant for the core server.  Doing so means that
> > all generators are broken if DAV is loaded in the server.
>
> It does not "just be taking over all requests." It is handling requests for
> the space that you've assigned to mod_dav.
>
> For this particular case, the bug is in default_handler(). Plain and simple.
> There is no reason for a POST request to return the file contents. Yes, the
> system should also call the thing as a CGI script, in this case, but that
> doesn't excuse the default handler.

No Greg, I'm sorry, but the bug has nothing to do with the
default_handler.  Plain and simple.  If mod_dav wasn't in the server, the
default_handler would never be called, because mod_cgi would have been
given an opportunity to handle the request.  The bug is in mod_dav, and no
fix anyplace else will actually solve the problem.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610