httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Ho <and...@tellme.com>
Subject Re: A suggested ROADMAP for working 2.1/2.2 forward?
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:47:09 GMT
Hello,

Am I the only person confused by this?

WR>STABLE RELEASES, 2.{odd}.{revision}
WR>------------------------------------
WR>All even numbered releases will be considered stable revisions.

WR>DEVELOPMENT RELEASES, 2.{even}.{revision}
WR>-----------------------------------------
WR>All even numbered releases designate the 'next' possible stable release,
WR>therefore te current development version will always be one greater than
WR>the stable release.

Is the former sentence a typo? Shouldn't that say "All odd numbered
releases" under the "STABLE RELEASES" header?

I personally think maintaining stable/dev branches is a fine idea. I like
the x.0 rationale for keeping even numbered versions development, and it
also fits with Apache 1.3.x... but I also think it could be confusing if
many other open source projects use odd numbered versions for development
and Apache is the exception. And while I'm not by any means a core Apache
developer I agree it seems a little premature to vote on this change right
this instant.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       andrew@tellme.com
Engineer                   info@tellme.com          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101