httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject RE: strace of SPECWeb99 static workload
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:47:18 GMT
> On 30/10/02 22:06, "gregames@apache.org" <gregames@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > The disk files aren't closed until the connection terminates.  I
> assume we're
> > using the connection pool for some file structure.  It's probably not a big
> > deal for prefork, but for a threaded MPM it could result in a lot of open
> > files in one process.
>
> It does, but under images.vnunet.com we solved the problem simply setting
> ulimit to 8192 (solaris comes with 256 as default, and we were hitting it on
> high peaks)... It doesn't seem it affected performances that much..
>
>     Pier

See the call to ap_save_brigade on line 3924 in core.c. ap_save_brigade results
in a call to apr_file_setaside() on the file being served which basically moves
the apr_file_t from the request pool to the connection pool. Someone setting
MaxKeepAliveRequests to 0 is asking for a DoS attack (running out of memory and
fds)

Bill