httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:05:28 GMT
At 11:40 AM 10/13/2002, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>rbb@apache.org wrote:
>>
>> In the message above, I don't
>> think you are advocating a 2.1 branch.  It sounds like you believe that
>> we should take the time to finish 2.0 before moving on.  Am I right in
>> interpreting it that way?
>>

>+++1

Then I want to clarify ... you both object to the statement that developers
within HTTP should be free to work on what they want.  Obviously, you are
both stating that we should not introduce 2.1 anytime real soon now.

Therefore, you are stating that developers are not free to introduce radical
new code at the present moment, and only things that fit within Apache 2.0
[subject to perpetual debate over what exactly what fits within 2.0] are open
for community development efforts.

Please see my other post about offering a 2.1 working branch within the
httpd-2.0 tree, maintained only by the 2.1 contributors, and please offer
your opinions of that solution.

This would apply to docs as well, since folks interested in documenting
the demise of mod_access and introduction of mod_authn/authz_foo
modules would be free to proceed, while not interfering with the primary
httpd-2.0 docs, and picking up revisions and changes by merging the
ongoing activity within the httpd-2.0 tree.

Bill