httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: new download page
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:59:38 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> http://httpd.apache.org/download.html
>
> I believe this is better than the current circumstances because it is
> clearer for the users, and it better enables us to direct people to the
> mirrors for the download and the main site for the signatures.
>
> I've never particularly like the autoindex/README/HEADER thing.  It is
> consfusing trying to figure out exactly what to download and there are
> notes scattered all over the place.  And it works very poorly on the
> mirrors, since many of them are not configured in exactly the same was
> as www.apache.org.
>
> I will be changing the links on httpd.apache.org to point to this page
> instead of directly at http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/.  I'll wait a
> day for corrections and comments.
>
> I believe this should go a long way towards reducing daedelus bandwidth
> usage for httpd downloads.  It will, of course, do nothing for
> jakarta/xml/etc.
>
> Joshua.

+1. great idea, but I think the mirror sites should be mentioned more
than only once. Perhaps an extra paragraph like the following would help:

"Please do not download from www.apache.org. Please use a mirror site to
help us save apache.org bandwidth. Go here to find your nearest mirror."[1]

Another Point are the official patches. IMO we should mention
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/patches/ together with a little note:
"When we have patches to a minor bug or two, or features which we
haven't yet included in a new release, we will put them in the patches
subdirectory so people can get access to it before we roll another
complete release."[1]

oh, btw the 2.0 paragraph praises 2.0.36 as the best available version
instead of 2.0.43. The headline, the text and the check-for-patches-link
are wrong.

cheers,
erik

[1] taken from http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/