httpd-dev mailing list archives

From grega...@apache.org
Subject Re: stable 2.0 trees
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:12:03 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> What's the penalty for stable/development trees?  Users don't have
> the development code (at least not many) for some time, until the
> development tree becomes GA quality.  But that's how it should be,
> and that's the only way we will ever find 1.3 adopters moving to 2.x.
> Anyone solid code contributions that don't break the API can always
> be merged back to the GA maintenance tree.  We've done that for
> two years from 2.0 to 1.3, and it's worked.

+1 on the concept of a stable 2.x release, where x > 0.  Bill S. has good points
about the PR aspects of release numbers.  I'm sort of leaning toward x being
even since that fits in with what many folks are used to.

I wouldn't mind being a stable release maintainer.  It would be very satisfying
to help drive up user acceptance of 2.x, plus I'm a stodgy old man of course.
I'll want to play in the itch scratching tree occasionally too.

Greg