httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <>
Subject Re: new download page
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:19:29 GMT
--On Sunday, October 27, 2002 11:46 AM -0500 Joshua Slive
<> wrote:

> This seems to be exactly the same number of steps to me.  In the
> current page you select the file and then the mirror.  With your
> idea, you select the mirror and then the file.  I don't have any
> problem with your suggestion, other than the fact that it isn't
> implemented.

No, it isn't.  We'd select a random default mirror.  (The key is the
closer.cgi functionality would be incorporated into download.html.)

> 1. Most of the mirrors are fine.  That particular one is entered in
> our mirror list incorrectly.

And, everytime someone breaks the mirrors.list file, we're going to
break downloads.  A fair number of commits to mirrors.list are bogus
and break the file.  If we want to switch httpd downloads to relying
on mirrors, then we have to be careful about the integrity of that
file.  (Something we have refused to enforce in the past because we
don't want to hurt people's feelings.)

> 2. Every page lists two guaranteed working sites at the bottom:
> nagoya and daedelus.  I'm thinking of also adding ibiblio to that.

ibiblio is not an affiliated site, but a large and respected mirror.
Yet, I believe the guaranteed working sites should be only those
under ASF (or ASF member) control.  There is no accountability for
problems with ibiblio.  Therefore, I would be hesitant to say that it
is a guaranteed working site.

> 3. If you find a problem with a mirror listing, why don't you fix
> it rather than complaining about it?

Because I just noticed it, and it wasn't obvious what the failure
condition was (from a 404, how am I supposed to know that it is
inputted incorrectly?).

> 4. Even deadelus is not a guarenteed working site at the moment.

But, it is the 'master' site (as well as the rsync master).

> 5. Nobody is forced to do anything.  Clear links are still provided

I don't believe that the closer.cgi file makes it clear enough where
to download from in the event of an error.  Hmm, I'll add a
disclaimer to the top of the page.  -- justin

View raw message