httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new download page
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:12:56 GMT
--On Saturday, October 26, 2002 9:33 PM -0400 Joshua Slive
<joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

> I like this system better because:
>
> 1. It is perfectly transparent to the users.  They know exactly
> where they are downloading from and are given options for
> alternative locations.

You are missing my point: you are creating an extra step that is not
needed.  There are plenty of solutions to this problem that do not
require this level of indirection.

For example, you could incorporate the CGI script logic into a shtml
file that has a choice list representing each mirror (and method).
The links on our download page would be recomputed as you select the
mirror.  I still prefer a round-robin DNS as that doesn't require any
CGI scripting.

> 2. It is extremely simple to configure and maintain.

No, it's not.  Currently, we have bogus mirrors.  For example, I see
apache.towardex.com listed as a mirror for me.  When I click on the
link, it gives me a 404.  That is inacceptable.

If you want to force users to do this scheme, then you have to ensure
that we don't list broken mirrors.

> 3. It can be put into place NOW.

No, I don't think we can deploy this because we have so many busted
mirrors.

I'd rather we do the right solution, then do a broken solution.  This
is a broken solution that will result in too much confusion for our
users.  Please do not switch to this.  -- justin