httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:10:43 GMT
--On Sunday, October 13, 2002 12:30 PM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wrowe@apache.org> wrote:

> So far, Two Bills beg that we defer the auth reorg to 2.1.  If I
> hear three,  I will consider it appropriate to veto the auth
> reorganization for 2.0, until  we start 2.1.  The technical
> justification would be unreasonable support  traffic (via bugzilla,
> user lists, etc) in response to administrators as they are forced
> through this update.  Technically, a reasonable demand for a
> version point bump, but not reasonable within a subversion point
> bump.

I hereby challenge your 'technical' reason for a veto.  Unlike APR,
httpd does not have a documented versioning system.  Therefore, I
don't believe there is any expectation to break.  And, when we
conducted the vote, I explicitly mentioned that we might break
backwards compatibility - the rest of the group didn't seem to have a
problem with that.

If someone else says your reason is technically valid, our rules
states that the veto stands.  Fine, but I want to see someone else
agree.  I think Greg and myself have tried to clarify FirstBill's
misunderstanding of what changed.  -- justin