httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:59:35 GMT
On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 11:23:23PM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > > My belief is that you should design and code up the async support and
> > > then we can deliberate about where it should go.
> >
> > That seems like a one-way street to me. How come it's ok to work on the
> > auth changes in 2.0 but it's not ok for others?
>
> I didn't make enough noise about this the first time around..... I would
> like to see the auth changes taken out of 2.0 and moved into 2.1.  We need
> to stablize the API in 2.0 for a reasonable amount of time to encourage
> module authors to begin porting their modules to 2.0.

The API *is* stable. The auth changes did nothing to the API except to
expand it a bit for *new* auth systems. Existing auth modules are
unaffected.

There were some directive changes, and certainly some different modules to
load, but nothing in the API department. Moreover, I think we can deal with
the directives and create some kind of backwards-compat stuff. It is just
that I'm not entirely sure what got dropped and added yet. The modules are a
bit tougher. We could potentially fix it with hacks to the module loading
stuff to key off the old names and load the new stuff, but that just feels
fugly...

Cheers,
-g

--