httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Auth: Start the httpd-2.1 branch finally?
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:11:29 GMT
This is going to sound like a grumpy old man talking, but it's sounding
more and more like that 2.0 tree is considered, by many of the
developers, little more than a playground to hack around in. There
seems very little regard for end users or developers ("API changes
with every release... yeah, so what."). Are people hacking 2.0
(or 2.1) because it's fun to do and a neat project, or is there
a desire that *people actually use the code*?

I'm certainly not saying that we ship broken or stupid code simply
to get it out, but certainly people should be aware that, when all
is said and done, isn't the whole idea of ASF projects is that
people are encouraged to use them? Yeah, we should allow the API
to grow and mature, but having it "constantly" change means, at
a very core level, we have no idea what it should be doing or
how it should be doing it. I know some of this is not germane to
the current question and issue, but some of it is.

Recall that when all this started, we were users who developed
because we were users; we weren't developers who simply used what we
developed. It was real, not an programming exercise.

Anyway, I've most likely upset a few people, and I apologize in
advance. Just take these words from someone who *still* wants Apache
to achieve world domination :)