httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: PHP POST handling
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2002 23:23:38 GMT
On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 07:10:32PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 05:19 PM 10/1/2002, Greg Stein wrote:
> >As long as it is understood that only *one* thing can consume the request
> >body. Then the question arises: how do you arbitrate that? It would be nice
> >to simply say "the handler is the consume" but that doesn't solve the case
> >of a PHP script stored in an SVN repository. It is almost like we need some
> >concept of stages leading up to request [body] processing and content
> >generation.
>
> Wrong.

Boy... not very subtle, are you? :-)

> Multiple things can access the properties from the request.
> Consider some form variables.  One filter might be transforming on
> variable X, while another performs some transformation on variable Z.
> And they use the same storage for all small bits of the POST.

Well... if by "properties" you mean the headers: sure. But only one person
understands the POST body, and only one should be reading it.

> In the case of upload requests, one consumer must 'sign up' to stream
> the file, and provide a method for retrieving the contents if anyone else
> cares {for the duration of the request.}  In theory, that consumer is the
> script that wants to persist the POSTed file upload.  If nobody wants
> to capture a huge POST body, we may end up with a tmpfile method,
> but if the file will be persisted, there is no reason to stow it twice.

This seems to assume that Apache [core] is processing POST bodies in some
way, and then providing APIs for other modules/scripts to access the
processed data.

I'd be very leery of automatic POST body processing in any form. Providing
standard functions? Sure. And that is what libapreq is about, right? :-)

> >But they are two modes of operation. In one, you generate the original
> >content (e.g. a PROPFIND or GET response against a database), in the other
> >you're filtering content.
>
> In both cases you are transforming a PHP script into the resulting
> output from processing the script.  No difference, truly.

At a technical level, no, not really. But the problem is that the filter
stack is about filtering the *content*. If the *script* is travelling
through the filter chain, then you've got issues :-)

The workaround to that is to always ensure that the script processor is the
first filter on the chain. But that seems kind of hacky... you could end up
with some contention there, with filters trying to jocky their way into
"first". What if a filter got itself in front of PHP? Uh oh. (yes, it would
be fine if the filter knows it is processing a script, but if it *doesn't...)

As an example of fighting for first: the OLD_WRITE filter. How do we
arbitrate that "first" spot between PHP (or some other script processor) and
OLD_WRITE?

That is why I suggested there might be a need for some kind of staged
process where we manage non-content data.

> >> And that said, you can't break POST to the default handler, please
> >> revert that change.
> >
> >The POST behavior before my fix was a regression against 1.3. Its existence
> >was to support the PHP-processing-as-a-filter implementation. The impact of
> >adding the POST "feature" to the default handler was never really detected
> >until we uncovered it via a bug in mod_dav. Since this regression was found,
> >I went in and fixed it. Unfortunately, that breaks PHP :-) But I think the
> >PHP integration is broken and needs to be fixed.
> >
> >While new PHP integration is being solved, we can *temporarily* revert the
> >change so that PHP users aren't inconvenienced while the integration is
> >worked on. But the default_handler fix does need to go in to prevent the
> >regression.
> >
> >(I term it a regression because 1.3 didn't do it, and POSTing to something
> > which isn't going to handle the posted content is not right; we should be
> > generating an error that states the POST is not allowed for that resource;
> > that is what 405 is all about)
>
> We should continue this discussion after the change is reverted,
> and let's find a better answer.

The default handler shouldn't be serving up the file for a POST. The
original change that did that was wrong.

> Going back to the apreq input filter, I can see where it would share
> with the core if anyone registered to review the client body.  If someone
> does, the handler could be toggled to accept POST.  If nobody registers,
> then we could decline POST.

I like this.

However, it really shouldn't be tied to POST, but should work for any
method. And it would seem to be a new request_rec field. However, to avoid
an MMN bump, I might suggest that we put the flag into the core config
record (core_request_config structure) and an API to set the flag.

So the next question then becomes: what to call the API function? Maybe
ap_method_requires_script()? It basically says "normally, this method does
not return the resource as content, but I require it because I'll interpret
it as a script to process this method." Script processors which are
installed as filters would call it. We would also recommend that the
processors have some way to configure which methods the script is actually
intended to handle, and call the function based on whether the script will
truly handle it (and if not, then the default behavior will return the
normal 405 (Method Not Allowed)).

I'll go fix the code to introduce the flag, and I'll default the flag (for
now) to provide the old behavior. Once we get a function name and add the
function, then we can change the default and have the PHP filter call the
thing to enable delivering scripts into the filter stack.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/