httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <>
Subject Re: stable 2.0 trees
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:18:40 GMT
Quoting Greg Marr <>:

> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:24:22 -0400
>   Joshua Slive <> wrote:
> >I'm +1 for creating 2.1 and 2.2 trees as proposed by Bill.
> My one thought about this proposal is that it is unclear whether or
> not this is attempting to emulate the Perl versioning scheme.  If so,
> then it's backwards, since Perl uses even numbers for releases and odd
> numbers for development, but Bill proposed that 2.1 be the "stable"
> branch, and "2.2" become the "development" branch.

This is the same as Linux kernel versioning scheme, which makes sense. So, my
user +1 for that.

If you read the article from ZDNET that someone pointed to the other day (Has
Apache Peaked?), the author is talking about 30 releases of Apache 2, where in
fact there were only 6 GA's. I reckon using the even minor numbers instead of
the GA would help people understand what's going on easier. Also, using the
-preX and -rcX is not a bad idea too. It explicitly states what that code
release is all about.

View raw message