httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: Counting of I/O bytes
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:10:48 GMT
Quoting Brian Pane <brian.pane@cnet.com>:

> Yes, that scenario is possible.  And even without multiple virtual
> hosts, attributing bytes to the wrong request will make the logging
> a lot less useful to anyone who's trying to use the bytes_sent data
> for debugging or planning purposes.  If we can come up with a way to
> delay the logging until after the response is actually sent, though,
> then the problem will disappear and your patch will produce much more
> accurate numbers.

Bummer! Oh, well, life isn't perfect...

Coming back to what William is proposing, the three pool approach... I'm
guessing that with Response put in-between Connection and Request, the Response
will store responses for multiple requests, right? Then, once the core-filter is
done with it, the Response will be notified, it will finalise the processing
(e.g. log all the requests) and destroy itself. Sounds good, but maybe we should
just keep the requests around until they have been dealt with?

BTW, is there are way in 2.0 to force every request to be written to the network
in order? Maybe I should focus on making an option like that in order to make it
work in 2.0?

Bojan

PS. So, when's 2.1 going to be released? Just kidding... ;-)