httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean-Jacques Clar" <JJC...@novell.com>
Subject Re: leak in APR
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:26:02 GMT
Why will I wouldn't see my allocated memory decrease if it has been
freed?

JJ

>>> aaron@clove.org 09/12/02 04:19PM >>>
On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:16:35PM -0600, Jean-Jacques Clar wrote:
> "Memory in Apache never shrinks".
> Is this a true statement?
> When reaching a cruising state (stable load, same files requested,
all
> files in cache)
> should I see some fluctuation in the APR. allocated memory (going up
> and down) OR
> should it stay always at the same value?

Ideally it will stay about the same, maybe occasionally raising
slightly
to accomodate some abnormal conditions.

> Should the call to apr_pool_clear(ptrans) at the end of the request
> decrease the
> memory allocated in APR. or is it just putting that memory back
> available in the pool?

Even if it were calling free() you wouldn't see your allocated memory
decrease (from viewing top or ps output).

-aaron