httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Hess <sc...@avantgo.com>
Subject RE: E-Kabong resolution: Re: acceptance of El-Kabong into APR
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:11:38 GMT
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Harrie Hazewinkel wrote:
> --On Thursday, September 12, 2002 8:50 AM -0500 "Jenkins, David"
> > I disagree almost completely.  If you are truly dedicated to the ASF
> > community, you will understand the cautiousness necessary in deciding
> > who has commit privs.
>
> I was mainly thinking of bigger pieces of code - code component - and
> for those their are mostly also maintainers needed. Those maintainers
> are mostly first the donator. For small patches I agree not everyone
> should get commit access.

I think it's important to keep in mind that being part of the Apache
deliverables is not the only option.  Contributors can always spin up
their own external opensource project, as was done for mod_ssl, mod_perl,
mod_php, etc.  Yes, this places more of a burden on the contributor, but
that's fair in cases where the contributor desires to maintain tighter
control.

A side effect of this is that if the component becomes popular,
integrating it becomes more compelling.

Later,
scott