httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@ntrnet.net>
Subject Re: POST
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:58:45 GMT
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 10:33:08PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 01:17:55AM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > Because 2.0.42 always displays script source for CGI scripts that use
> > > POST, I believe that we should put that notice on our main site, and stop
> > > suggesting 2.0.42 for production use.
> >
> > I could not reproduce your problem in my tests.  Do you have a clear
> > reproduction case?  (POSTing to a DAV resource for me yields a 404.)
> >
> > Is it somehow related to mounting a DAV repository at / and the
> > server getting confused about the /cgi-bin/ dir?  -- justin

<snipped>

> In any case, Ryan suggested that mod_dav shouldn't set r->handler for
> methods that it isn't going to handle. That is arguable. The resource *is*
> located within the URL space designated as being under mod_dav's control.
>
> The bug here is default_handler()'s serving up POST'd documents.
>
> A secondary issue is possibly refining mod_dav's handling. But that is a
> *very* deep problem. The specified resource might not be in the filesystem,
> so it would be *invisible* to Apache if mod_dav doesn't handle it. The grey
> area is when you're working with mod_dav_fs.

It may be time to bite the bullet and abstract out the FS from the core
server.  It would be a PITA, and it would mean a major re-factoring of DAV
code, because mod_dav wouldn't have the repository code anymore.  Instead,
it would be a part of Apache itself.  I believe that is the only way that
you are actually going to solve this problem cleanly though.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610