httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: UDP ?
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:08:33 GMT

Serving content over UDP does work with 2.0.  It takes some work, but all
of the required features are there.  However, I modified Apache a couple
of years ago to serve HTTP over UDP, it doesn't work.  The only reason to
serve over UDP with Apache, is to serve a different protocol.

IF you would like a quick little module that creates UDP sockets, and gets
us serving over UDP, I could probably hack something together in a day or
two.  Of course, it will be a couple of months before I get to it.  I just
don't have the time for programming that I used to.  :-(

Ryan

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> Has there been any consideration given to supporting UDP, to allow things
> like HTTP over UDP as described here:
>
> http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/draft-goland-http-udp-01.txt
>
> The idea of HTTP over UDP may seem irrational, but UPnP (which is the
> protocol that is supposed to let your microwave oven discover and control
> your dvd player) relies on exclusively on HTTPU, and I was curious whether
> httpd could be rigged to be upnp capable.
>
> I saw an earlier short thread about UDP, but could quite figure out where
> it ended.
>
> Grisha

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610