httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: mod_custom_log exits too late?
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:32:23 GMT
On 16 Sep 2002, Brian Pane wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 11:13, wrote:
> > Rather than continue to argue this, I have decided to just post some
> > threads that people should read.  Notice BTW, that I was a proponent for
> > binary compat.  I have changed my mind, based on Dean's comments in these
> > threads.  APIs become binary compatible when they are mature, not when
> > developers believe they should become binary compatible.
> >

> > From Dean:
> > For another similar example read the linux-kernel archives around the time
> > 2.2.0 was released, there was a nice huge thread on pretty much the same
> > topic:  binary-only linux kernel modules.  Linus strives for source
> > compatibility, cares not about binary compatibility, but never holds back
> > the progress of the kernel just to keep the binary folks happy.
> Linux kernel modules are a special case due to some characteristics
> that don't apply to Apache:
> * Most Linux kernel modules are available in source form
> * All modules are well-integrated with the kernel's build system
> * Most Linux installations have the necessary tools for recompilation
> Those things aren't generally true for Apache modules.  If you're
> running on a Solaris box with no compiler, with binary-only modules
> from third party vendors, and the next release of Apache 2.0
> increments the MMN major, then you're stuck.
> A better example is the Linux system call interface: that almost
> never breaks backward compatibility, and that's what allows users
> to upgrade their kernels to a new maintenance release without fear
> of breaking every app they depend on.

So did everybody read the single thing I excerpted, and reply, or did you
actually read the threads?

I will say it again.  The API will stabilize when it is ready to, and at
that point, we should be careful to avoid MMN bumps.  Currently, the API
obviously isn't stable yet.

People seem to thing that not having a lot of adopters is strange at this
point.  It isn't.  At this point in the cycle, we have early
adopters.  That means that the people who are using the software should
expect some issues.  That is what it means to be an early adopter.  As the
code stabilizes, it will be used by the mainstream, and then years from
now, it will be the only choice for somebody who chooses Apache.

Freezing the API, or creating 2.1 will not move us out of the early
adopter phase.  This is what happens when a product is new.

Ryan Bloom
550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610

View raw message