httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Desire for 2.1 was Re: mod_custom_log exits too late?
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:39:20 GMT
On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 02:40:35AM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> > I've been willing to accept MMN bumps thus far because 1.3 also had a
> > number of MMN bumps in its infancy.  But we're rapidly approaching the
> > point where 2.0.x needs to pick an MMN (and all that that entails) and
> > stick with it, IMHO.
>
> Then, we as a group need to open 2.1 when we do that.
>
> So far, there doesn't seem to be support for that.  In fact, it seems
> there are lots of people against a 2.1 tree.  -- justin

We should never just pick an MMN and stick with it.  When the source code
is ready, that will happen automatically.

As for people not being willing to accept the MMN issue as a reason to
destabilize the tree, you're right, I'm not.  We aren't a commercial
venture.  We do what is right, because it is the right thing to do.

I don't really care when you commit new code, but don't try to commit it
in the last few days/hours of a release, and then pretend that the release
is still GA quality.  If you want to add brand new code (as opposed to a
small bug fix) at the the of the release, then go ahead and add it, but
make the release a beta or alpha.  This is why we went to the new system.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610