httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: Tagged the tree
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 03:21:33 GMT
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Chris Taylor wrote:

> [...]

Um, the point is we don't want people testing the tags until they have
been blessed as an alpha.  Once it is an actual alpha release, there will
be a tarball for testing.  Te reason we don't want people testing (other
than developers), is that the initial tag is a tool for the developers to
make sure we have a viable tag.  Remember, we used to create tarballs as
soon as things were tagged, and then when we tried to push tags, we would
create a new tarball.

We shouldn't be pushing tags anymore.  The reason we lay an initial tag
(with the developers name, BTW), is so that if we have to change things,
we can just lay another tag with their name and a new number.  The goal
for these releases, is to keep the barrier high, and ensure that
developers have access to what we are going to release soon.  Once the
developers decide the tag is viable, the final tag is laid, and a tarball
is created.  This is when the barrier to entry is low, so that users can
download and test.  Then we vote on quality.

The point is that the tags are cheap, and there should be more tags than
tarballs.  If we make it too easy to get the tags, then we won't be able
to track what people have.  By providing tarballs, we will be going back
to what didn't work months ago.  If you don't or can't use CVS, then you
have to wait for the final tag and roll.

Ryan Bloom
550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610

View raw message