httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Tagged the tree
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2002 23:00:27 GMT

Generally, we do not create tarballs of tags, because the tags are meant
to be used by developers before the release is rolled.  The problem with
tarballs, is that once they are created, they can be downloaded, and then
it is very difficult to determine which version of the tarball a user
has.  By restricting things to just CVS tags, we can be sure that only
developers or users who REALLY understad that they aren't getting a
release get the code.  Then, once it has been well tested, we can roll a
tarball for general release.

If you must have a tarball, your best bet is to use the snapshots.  You
won't always get the exact tag, but since there hasn't been any commits
since the tag, you will for this release.

Ryan

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Chris Taylor wrote:

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610