httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_custom_log exits too late?
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 06:33:17 GMT
At 09:16 PM 9/14/2002, Ian Holsman wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:59:45 -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 05:49:06PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >> I don't believe that is a valid reason to put more code in .41.  Just
> >> release .41, and start working on .42.  The reason our releases are
> >> fragile, is that we keep putting stuff in at the last minute.  Even when
> >> the code is reviewed and double-checked, it is a big opportunity for
> >> bugs to creep in.  If we release .41, and it isn't as good as .40, then
> >> it won't be GA.  But let's stop tweaking .41.
> >
> > Yes, Huge +1!!
> >
>I disagree on this.
>if we know we are about to break something then we should do it >before<
>we release.

++1 and then some.   In fact, this 'might' require an mmn bump
(although I suspect I can get away with logging an error and exiting
to the hook with an error condition.)

>do you realize how many people HATE having to recompile their modules,
>and what a pain it is for commerical vendors to support?

No, apparently 90% of this list doesn't share a concern for breaking
existing installs, since this conversation comes up frequently, and those
opinions for consistency and predictability, predictably fail to carry the day.

Bill