httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: providing apache2 rpms ?
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 00:10:09 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>> I would be happy putting a spec file in the distribution,
>> if someone could agree where apache should live on linux box.
>

> I think having 1 spec file is better than having no spec file. If there
> are any distros with special needs they would probably roll their own
> anyway.
>
> I would be more keen to use an official apache RPM than say a Redhat
> one, as Redhat (and possibly other distros) are rather slow at releasing
> the latest bugfixes.

+1 from me.
I think the only technical issues stopping us are:
	- layout to choose
	- a method of getting the version number in the spec file.
	 (which would need to be part of the buildconf process I think)

the second is important because doing this we could simply allow us to
do something like:
	rpmbuild --sign -ta <disttarfile>

I'm not sure if it makes a difference on which distribution it was
actually built on.. maybe the mandrake/redhat/suse guys have some
suggestions.

> Regards,
> Graham

--Ian