httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_blanks
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:44:13 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:

> I would disagree on this
> We have an internal module which does
> this as we have found that html is general is not easy to strip
> as you would think.
> If you do do this, please make sure you test your module on a lot of
> different HTML out there, as well as multiple browsers..

We've found it depends on the application. Most of the developers I'm
working with now are indentation freaks who prepend each line with an
average of 40 spaces. Stripping the trailing and leading space on each
line is generally the safest way to do it, as the carriage return is
whitespace anyway, works pretty well.

> we showed a 6% potential saving on this.

Bandwidth costs money - a 6% saving for virtually no effort can be
significant on high traffic sites.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon