httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Patch mod_proxy: mod_proxy + mod_cache problem
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:33:39 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:

>> The cache filter is supposed to run after all the filters for maximum
>> caching advantage.
>>
> I disagree on this. the cache filter should be able to placed where the
> admin wants it.

In the advanced case, yes - but in the simplest
turn-it-on-and-it-should-just-work case the cache should be as optimised
as possible.

> what the code should do is remember which filters where placed above the
> cache_input filter, and restore these filters on cache_output.

This starts getting complex.

The original idea for the cache was to be transparent public proxy cache
  layered between Apache and the browser. Because RFC2616 dictates how
such a proxy cache should work, determining whether we have done the
"right" thing should be relatively easy.

As we move the caching filters further towards the core of Apache,
suddenly things start to get complicated, as there is no longer a
guarantee that the point into which cache has been inserted is compliant
with RFC2616 in the first place, which in turn makes things less likely
to work predictably or correctly.

Yes, being able to put the cache wherever the admin wants is in theory a
nice thing to have, actually practically achieving this is something
that's going to have to be looked at pretty carefully.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street