httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Location of aaa rewrite
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:01:01 GMT
rbb@apache.org wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Chris Taylor wrote:

>>>[ ] Check in aaa rewrite to 2.0.
>>>[X] Check in aaa rewrite to 2.1.
>>>

>>My view is that it's important to keep 2.0 stable to attract new
>>users, and breaking things all the time won't help :)
>>

>Can I ask a stupid question?  What have we actually broken since Apache
>2.0 went GA?  Binary compatibility?  How many functions?  How many of
>those were APR and not Apache?

If I remember correctly, one or two releases since GA have broken
binary compatibility.  But I'm in favor of breaking it once again,
if it's for a good cause.  One technique we could use to manage
the impact on 3rd party developers and users is: release 2.0.41
with the current aaa design, and simultaneously announce that
2.0.42 will use the new design so that people have time to prepare.

Brian