httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Harrie Hazewinkel <>
Subject RE: E-Kabong resolution: Re: acceptance of El-Kabong into APR
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:34:02 GMT

--On Thursday, September 12, 2002 8:50 AM -0500 "Jenkins, David"
<> wrote:

>> --On Wednesday, September 11, 2002 1:55 PM -0700 Jon Travis
>> <> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 07:45:21PM +0000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> I disagree almost completely.  If you are truly dedicated to the ASF
> community, you will understand the cautiousness necessary in deciding who
> has commit privs.

I was mainly thinking of bigger pieces of code - code component -
and for those their are mostly also maintainers needed. Those
maintainers are mostly first the donator.
For small patches I agree not everyone should get commit access.

> It also has to do with patience - if a person draws
> ultimatums trying to get in, what are they going to do when something
> doesn't go their way in some other aspect of the project after they have a
> vote?

Here I agree that providing an ultimatum and forcing your way in
is not correct.

> It's more a problem with rights (although I think I remember seeing
> something CVS related as well).  Once a person has commit privs, they
> have a vote over the whole project.  If he's only supposed have commit
> over E-K they'd have to make a special rule (and not to mention the
> contention that could be created by having to tell someone "Oh sorry, you
> can't vote on this decision").

Hmm, as for voting I think you should read

I quote:
"Casting Votes

Anyone on the mailing list may vote on any issue. However, the act of voting
carries certain obligations -- voting members are not only stating their
opinion, they are agreeing to help do the work of the Apache Project."

So in case El-Kabong is part of any component of the ASF (Jon in this case)
can already as maintainer VOTE. Even if he does not have commit access
and he has expressed his willingness to help to do the work.

View raw message